Ten things you can do to become more green – TODAY
My friends and family know that I’m all about being “green.” As a result, I’m often asked about what changes they can make in their lives, quickly and easily, that will make them more green.
Here’s ten QUICK and EASY things you can do to become more green right away.
1. Start Composting. It’s easy, it’s free, and it saves money and energy.
2. Start recycling. This is really as easy as getting a few bins to hold different types of recyclables and then finding out where/how to drop them off.
3. Change your light bulbs from regular incandescent bulbs to CFL’s. You’ll save money and your light bulbs will last longer.
4. Start washing your clothes using cold water. Very little of what we need to wash actually has to be washed in hot water and many manufacturers make laundry detergent designed to work in cold water.
5. Start a garden. If it’s winter where you live, start a herb garden indoors. It’s easy, fun, and you’ll eventually save money on all the spices or vegetables you buy.
6. Install aerators on all of the faucets in your home. These cost a few dollars each, are easy to install, and will save lots of water.
7. Make it a habit to turn off water and lights when you aren’t using them. Teach your children to do the same.
8. Put appliances and other items on surge strips – this way you can turn the entire strip off when you aren’t using them. Many items in your home use electricity even when you aren’t using them.
9. Turn your heat down a few degrees all the time. Wear warmer clothes when you are in the house. If you have a timer on your thermostat, program the heat to turn down when you are sleeping and when no one is at home. Do the same thing with the air conditioning in the summer. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, invest in one – they are not expensive, and you’ll get your money back in savings on your electric bill.
10. Sit down and figure out how you can drive less. Make it a point to combine trips and to plan your outings so you don’t spend all of your time driving around and wasting gas. Consider carpooling to work or having your children carpool to school. Almost all of us can figure out at least a few ways to reduce the amount of time that we are on the road.
Let us know what you’re doing to become more green!
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.